Hipababy Mei Tai / Meh dai
Mei Tai is the anglicized form of a chinese word (背带) which means 'back carrying strap'. It is used to refer to a carrier which has a rectangle of fabric with straps at the top and bottom. Meh dai (Cantonese) or bei dai (Mandarin) is a closer phoenetic spelling of the name, although since there are many dialects in China pronunciation varies between different groups.
- Padded waist and shoulder straps for long term wearing comfort.
- Extra long shoulder straps to fit all size wearers and give you a variety of strap tying options.
- Sturdy construction – made using good quality material and thread with all weight bearing seams reinforced. The carrier is made from fabric suitable to support the weight of your baby.
- Includes a sleeping hood to support your sleeping baby’s head.
- Adjustable base and height option available on customs. You can make the base smaller so young babies can have their legs out from a young age. However the carrier doesn't cinch down so narrowly that your baby will loose the proper 'M' position which is important for supporting your babies' developing hips and spine.
Sizing - Meh Dai/Mei Tai
Click on the links for action photos.
Size 1- Baby size - from newborn to young toddler. Built in adjustable base and height options available for an easy customized fit. Alternatively for a simpler carrier you can easily cinch the base with a ribbon and roll the base to shorten instead.
Size 2- Standard size - suitable for both babies and toddlers. This size has a wider and taller body to support the weight of your older baby and toddler well. Can be used for newborns with the bottom rolled up to make it shorter and with babies legs froggied inside the carrier. The body is slightly contoured so when you roll the bottom to make the meh dai shorter for a baby it will be narrower as well. It can be used legs out (with the bottom rolled) from around 4-5 months until around 2-3 years.
Size 3 - Toddler size - This carrier is taller and wider than size 2, with seat darts for a deeper seat. This size fits from 18 months to around 4 years.
Sizing - Half Buckle
Half buckles fit a little differently from the mei tai's as this style is designed to be worn non-apron style. However it is still possible to roll the waist to shorten the carrier or to wear apron style since it is padded rather than structured (just remove the buckles and re-thread otherwise buckles will be upside down). Baby size (size 1) will fit from newborn until 18 months - although an adjustable base in recommend for babies under four months old. Standard size (size 2) will fit best from around 6-8 months until around 2-3 years. Toddler size fits best from around two years.
Information about how to order a custom carrier can be found on this page. In stock carriers are available to purchase here.